TenantsTips / Australia / About shared housing. What is your status?

About shared housing. What is your status?

Here you can read an explanation of the legal issues for people who sharing housing in the Australian Rental market

The Residential Tenancies Act 2010 and Regulations

This act covers the subject matter of people who live in share housing.

There are four type of sharing tenancy status which are : co-tenant, a head tenant, a subtenant, a boarder/lodger.

Accordingly with the legal status, the tenant will have his right and obligations.

Being a Co-tenant

Your status is a co-tenant if your name with other tenants names are on your tenancy agreement. It is means that you will share all right and obligations with other co-tenants.

Being a Head-tenant

The tenant will have a status of a head-tenant if you are a tenant and your name is on your tenancy agreement for the accommodation, but at the same time you have a written agreement that gives permission to sub-let some part of your accommodation to other person. In this case your status is a head-tenant and other person status is sub-tenant. After signing such agreement you become a landlord for your sub-tenant.

Being a Sub-tenant

As was mentioned before, the tenant will have a status of the sub-tenant if he will have a written tenancy agreement for the accommodation with another tenant who is the head-tenant. The sub-tenant will have his rights and obligations to the head-tenant as tenant, while the head-tenant will be his landlord.

Being a Boarder or Lodger

The tenant will have a status of boarder or lodger if you are renting some part of the accommodation from aother tenant who is living there or from the person who is the owner of the accommodation and living there also. By living there with the owner or landlord, they do not have control of the accommodation.


Login or Register FREE to add comment.