Help please!

Author Message


Sunday 21 February 2016 12:33:24 pm

I'm an English trucker, on the road 5 or 6 days a week, sleeping in my, I only rent a room in a shared house, as I'm hardly ever home.
My American wife is going to court to get permission to take her 10 year old out of USA, and we want to show that the boys quality of life will be improved.

If we lose the case I will move to the USA but we'd both prefer for her to come here.

My wife says...If I rent a house and pay all the deposits and will look good for the court.
I say, if we lose, that's a massive amount spent, and a contract to try and get out of.
Surely, I argue, we can show the judge the wide range of properties I can rent IF he gives us the all clear.

So, finally, here's my question. How can i 'get ' a rental, but then cancel the agreement with the minimum of cost and hassle?


Monday 22 February 2016 2:44:00 pm

Hello. The frank answer to your question is that you will need to be up-front and honest with any prospective landlord about the possibility that you might later need to bail out of the contract early.

Most assured shorthold tenancy contracts nowadays are granted for a fixed term period of 6 or 12 months. Before you sign the contract make enquiries about the minimum length of the fixed term period. If you feel that you might not need the tenancy for AT LEAST 6 months, then you need to be up front about this with the landlord and see whether it might be possible to sign the contract for a lesser time period. Some landlords might well be relaxed about granting you a tenancy for less than 6 months - but I suspect that most will not because of the hassle (to them) of needing to advertise the premises all over again and find a replacement tenant so soon.

If you chose not to be up-front with a prospective landlord, and you go ahead an sign up to a 12 month fixed term contract, then, legally, it becomes very difficult for you to pull out of the contract early, before the fixed term's expiry date. In that situation, the landlord can insist that you pay the full rent right up to the contract's expiry date. After all, you signed a contract in which you obligated yourself to stay in the property for the full 6 or 12 month period.

Finally, before you sign a contract for 12 months, it is worth checking the tenancy agreement to see if it contains what's called a 'break clause'. This is a special clause in the agreement that allows either the tenant or the landlord to bring the agreement to an early end, before the contract officially expires. Most break clauses in tenancy agreements can usually be activated by the tenant or landlord after 6 months have passed. You need to check for (or make enquiries about).a break clause because not every tenancy agreement will contain one.


Wednesday 29 November 2017 2:49:48 am

This is great websites, I visited some of them but I didn't know that Google offers free games.And this is I play free flash games in this websites.


Saturday 16 December 2017 11:00:45 am

thanks for share


Saturday 17 February 2018 11:19:15 am

Very Interesting and so useful post. It is really so enjoyable. Thanks for share.


Saturday 12 May 2018 7:24:56 am

this post really so interesting. Thanks for share.