TenantsTips / Home / Home Swap / House Swaps How to Do it

House Swaps How to Do it

Obviously one of the first things you need to do is tell everyone you are looking to swap your house and also you need to find others who are willing to exchange their home for yours and in order to do this the easiest way is to join a website (link to swapsites article ) that will fulfil your needs.

Telling everyone includes your current landlord. Both parties must get their landlord's permission, in writing, to swap. You could be liable to eviction and/or receive a fine if you swap without permission. You may not be entitled to carry out a mutual exchange if your tenancy has only recently begun. If you are unsure whether you have the right so swap, you should check with your landlord first.

Home Swap Wesbites

You need to decide what it is exactly you are looking for and in what area. Also you need to think about your current home and how you want to advertise it to others. You need to make it sound warm and welcoming and take some nice photos that you can email to people when they enquire or load up to a Homeswapper website that you join.

It may be worthwhile considering joining more than one site as not all exchanges appear on each website and the more people know about you the better chance you will have of finding a successful swap.

On most sites you will need to register your details, Define your criteria, then you will be able to find out what Mutual Home Swaps are available to you. Then once you have found one you like you can start Swapping !

When you have the written permission of both landlords tenancies should be swapped by a "Deed of assignment". In Scotland new tenancies are usually granted, but you should contact your housing officer as the law in Scotland is different.

The majority of secure tenants have a legal right to exchange. Assured tenants may have the right to exchange, as long as it is written into the tenancy agreement. You can find a full list of the legal "grounds for withholding consent to assignment by way of exchange" in Schedule 3 of the Housing Act 1985.


I would like to exchange

Hiya all.
I have a one bedroom flat in South Harrow. It has a new kitchen, bathroom, boiler & radiators. Plenty of local shops & transport, schools, nearby dentist & doctors. I am looking to exchange for a 1 bedroom in Brighton. I have a secure tenancy & would like to exchange with some one who has the same.

Exchange Wanted

I have a 1 bedroomed council bungalow in Sutton Coldfield very nice area indeed extremely quiet lovely neighbours near all the buses ,shools ,shops, doctors , village would like the same or a 2 bedroomed house in nice are of Sutton Coldfield.

flat swap

I have a first floor flat in saffron Walden Essex,new fitted kitchen and bathroom ,living room ,2 large bedrooms,own garden and shed and off road parking five mins walk to amenities,im for house or flat with in saffron Walden or surrounding areas must be close to nursery's,schools shops etc plz email me sharonwebster1@virginmedia.com pics on request many thanks

flat swap

I have a two bed first floor flat,with new fitted kitchen and bathroom,2 bedrooms own shed and garden and off road parking five minutes from saffron Walden town centre and all amenities,looking to swap for a two bed house or flat within saffron Walden or surrounding villages


i have a 2 bed flat 1st floor location (SHEERNESS KENT) wanting 3 bed flat/maisonette somewhere around SOUTH EAST LONDON due to my daughter being pregnant needing a extra bedroom also to be close to family. has to be council rented property if interested 0r would like to know more please contact my (home) 01795-482-141 (mobile 07778984521 thankyou

Council mutual exchange Crawley West Sussex

I have a one bed flat in ifield Crawley. Just had new boiler/water system and radiators installed. Very spacious loads of storage room but getting too small for our family now so in need of a two or three bed house or maisonette must have own private back garden.
If you require anymore info please don't hesitate to contact me on 07592440992 or email me at jaderawlings@yahoo.co.uk thank you

exchange wanted

Im looking for an exchange from a 1 bedroomed spacious flat in kempton close to another 1 bedroomed flat not ground floor either I will except any area apart from foxwood ascotway or chapelfields any area other but has to be in acomb area

council exchange

i have one bed room council flat in Romsey road, West Ealing,LONDON, W13.0SH...i would like to swap to another council flat in a top floor, within zones 1-6 in london.. e-mail....loaya82@yahoo.com

exchaned wanted

have a ground floor 2 bedroom flat looking for one bedroom flat in inverness not ferry area.just had gas put in near milburn shops near by hospital and primary school contact mrs g price 07934467949 for details

Login or Register FREE to add comment.