Will the changes to housing benefit affect you?
If you are renting from a private landlord and have been claiming housing benefit at that address on or after 7 April 2008 you will almost certainly be affected by the changes to housing benefit.
The changes to the housing benefit system will affect local housing allowance (LHA) which is the way that housing benefit is calculated if you rent in the private rental market such as direct from a landlord or through a letting agent.
So if you moved into the property you rent after 7th April 2008 or have made a claim for housing benefit after this date then the changes to housing benefit will affect you.
Who will the changes in housing benefit affect most?
- Those that live in areas which are expensive. If you live in central London or other area's where you rent is high you will feel the cuts more than most.
- Large households. I you live in a house and have several dependents your allowance might be reduced.
Important note - you will not be affected by the changes to housing benefit if ALL of the below apply:
- You made your claim before 7 April 2008, and
- You have not moved since, and
- There has been no break in your claim.