TenantsTips / Home / Immigrating to UK

Immigrating to UK

Renting a property for new immigrants to the UK can be a relatively an easy and painless experience but first you need to get here.

One can immigrate to the UK under Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP), a Points based system where points are awarded for Education, Work Experience, Earnings, Significant Achievement and Partner / Spouse's Skills. Under HSMP one does not need any Employer Sponsorship for immigration to the UK. Persons and their dependents migrating under this scheme get PR status or ILR in 4 years time.

The other categories open for Immigration are available for Innovators and Investors who want to set up their business in the UK. This category also allows PR status after 4 years. Work Permits, which essentially need to be sponsored by UK Employers, allow person to come to the UK to work. Work Permit holders’ get the Resident status and can apply for PR status or ILR after 4 years. Intra-company transfers where the Overseas Company transfers the member of Management team to manage the UK operations as Sole Representative. For Low Skilled Workers there is Sector Based Scheme including Agricultural Assistants scheme. Of course, once can come to the UK on a student visa and on successful completion of the studies in certain disciplines and certain courses one can get permission of 1 year practical training (which is 2 years in Scotland). If you are a citizen of Commonwealth Countries and are aged between 17 and 30 years, you can come to the UK for 2 years under Working Holidaymaker visa that allows stays up to 2 years when you can work in the UK to improve your skills. You can switch to Work Permit after 1 year under Working Holidaymaker visa. You can also apply for a UK Business Visa if you want to do business in the UK.

Oh…and there is one more possibility - one can marry a UK citizen and migrate to the UK.

Immigration and renting Property

FAQ for renting property as a migrant into the country

Migrants Renting Problems

Despite the myths about migrants getting social housing, the numbers that do so within five years of arriving in the country are tiny.

Is a migrant entitled to a written tenancy agreement

You as any tenant whether a migrant or not have rights.

Renting for Migrants

How Rental Housing conditions are being targeted for new migrants

Immigrants beware of Rental Scams

Why replying to a web or paper ad and sending the landlord your deposit could cost you

Tip for sharing a rented house or flat

Some basics you need to think about before sharing a rented property

Immigrating to the UK - How to rent a property

Top tips to rent in the UK for internationals