TenantsTips / Home / Immigrating to UK / Immigrating to the UK - How to rent a property

Immigrating to the UK - How to rent a property

We will assume that you are coming to England with all the necessary visas and permits in place and that you know the area you will be working in. The first question you need to answer is where to live?

Even if you know the location of your work the first thing to do is get a profile of the area you propose to move to. If you have friends or relatives in that area ask them as they will have lots of useful information. You will need to find out about local transport, schools and colleges, leisure facilities, local health care, and, possibly most importantly, the type of accommodation available. You will need to consider what minimum requirements are acceptable for you and your family including any special requirements such as pets or a property where the landlord permits smokers. Properties come fully furnished, with kitchen appliances and carpets and curtains only or with no furnishings at all.

The internet is a great source of information. Securing rented property is likely to take less time than purchasing a property and carries significantly less risk. Use our search engine and type in the area, town or postcode and see what pops up. More than likely the property will be advertised by a letting agent and we would recommend using a letting agent belong to a recognised scheme than going direct to a landlord.

If you are unable to find a suitable property yourself try using a relocation agent. Relocation Agents are in the business of helping people moving to new areas and can offer a variety of services which may be tailored to suit your particular needs. Their first priority is usually to find out exactly what requirements you have and then start finding a suitable property. As this process might take some time, it is advisable to contact a Relocation Agent well in advance of any potential move.

When you find a suitable property you will need to know about the rental process. This covers such things as what forms of Personal ID and references maybe required, what fees and contracts you will need and what is expected of you as a tenant in the UK.