TenantsTips / Home / Tenancy Help / Tenancy Deposit Help / ADR – Alternative Dispute Resolution – What is it?

ADR – Alternative Dispute Resolution – What is it?

Its important that if you have a disagreement with your landlord or your landlords letting agent about what happens to your deposit at the end of your tenancy that you follow the correct procedure applicable to the scheme your deposit is registered with.,. find out how.

If you , the tenant and your landlord cannot agree as what happens to the deposit at the end of the tenancy then this disagreement or “dispute” over the result can either be resolved through a third party, if you both agree, which is often called the alternative dispute resolution (ADR) system or failing that through the courts.

In the Housing Act of 2004 one of the requirements was that the deposit scheme providers must provide a dispute resolution service for dealing with such problems between landlords and tenants over the deposit.

Each scheme must have, and indeed does have, has its own ADR process. All the schemes operate a similar process but you much heck with which ever scheme your deposit is registered with for details of the procedure and to obtain the relevant forms.

The timetable and requirements for each scheme are set out in each schemes Dispute terms.

The Dispute Service (TDS)


The Deposit Protection Service (DPS)


Tenant Deposit not registered.

Last August I entered a rental contract concerning the annex to a house in a West Country village. The Landlord was his own agent although initial contact was through a well known agency in a nearby town.
The landlord did not register the deposit of £590 although he was reminded of this obligation. The obligation was also featured as part of the rental contract he caused to be produced by the Primary (or finding) agency.
The landlord proved to be extremely unpleasant and I find myself the victim of verbal abuse on more than one occasion.
Eventually nature took a hand and the whole area was flooded in November I lost everything and the dwelling declared unfit for habitation.. The landlord has not repaid the deposit. I have heard from his solicitor that the landlord is insisting that he was unaware of the obligation to register the deposit. I have replied to this, sending a coopy of the rental agreement that his client signed and pointing out that Ignorantia juris non excusat - ignorance of the law does not excuse applies in this case.
I want to know the precise steps I must take to recover the deposit plus penalty, amounting to deposit x 3.
I would be very grateful for any information. I am also suing for damages because of the abuse and conditions under which I was forced to live. I have no income apart from circa £8000 pa.

Login or Register FREE to add comment.